Floor Cloth Update
|Morning Glory Floor Cloth|
I confess I got pretty tired of painting morning glories before I got to the magic number of 66.
Yep. The cloth is 57.5 inches wide, 122 inches long, 66 morning glories and 73 leaves.
I sketched them with charcoal five at a time.
It took me just over a month to paint.
I had to push myself many times because my little secret...
...I get bored with repetition.
The thing that kept me going was my daily visit to the morning glory trellis in the garden.
Each morning I took new shots of the beautiful display for more floral reference in the studio.
Before starting with the design, the front and back sides of this heavy duty canvas were primed with two coats of house piant.
After painting 66 morning glories the back side was painted with one coat of the gray (floor paint), and three coats of high traffic formula polyurethane floor finish.
The front received four coats of the floor finish.
I moved the cloth off the studio table and onto the studio floor when it was time to use the poly floor finish.
Not until I was totally finished did it occur to me what a folly the whole project was.
As you know, this is going to the Garden Palace.
A place where few others may ever see.
And that my friends is when I realized,
I did it for myself.
Even though I had to push at times, It please me very much and that is all that matter.
The Four Corners
Now it is time to get back over to the Garden Palace and paint the floor.
Having this finished, as well as, the cooler weather is a real incentive to get back over there.